I am a technical manager with a history of building a strong team by hiring talented employees. I push them to do their best while setting an example by working with them side-by-side. I put an emphasis on creating tools to solve problems and writing documentation to ensure that the people we work with have the resources they need. I am actively looking for my next opportunity to challenge myself and further my career in software engineering management.
Shell scripting in bash and
MacOS X /
Solaris sys admin
Familiar with: C, Objective-C, PHP, Oracle and MySQL table creation and queries
Past experience: SNMP, Netcool Omnibus, RRDTool, Apache, Sendmail and Postfix MTAs
At Apple, I currently manage an international team of up to 13 people who provide 24 / 7 daily build support for iOS. I personally hired and trained 10 employees within a 2 year period.
At CNN, I managed a team of 9 full-time employees and contractors in the Internet Operations Center to monitor and troubleshoot various CNN.com websites 24 / 7 / 365.
Software Engineering Manager, Embedded Build Engineering Nov 2008 - Present
- Managed team responsible for compiling, integrating, and releasing all aspects of iOS for iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, and Apple TV.
- Additionally worked as a build engineer to reduce workload for the team.
- Developed internal tools, documentation, and procedures to reduce human errors, optimize hardware resources, and troubleshoot build failures.
- Coordinated schedules and engineering efforts for up to 12 concurrent first-party iOS apps.
Build Engineer May 2006 - Nov 2008
- Compiled and integrated software for new product bring-up including Intel Mac Pros, first generation iPod touch, and the first iPhone SDK.
- Proactively designed a visual web-based monitoring system to track the build process.
- Brought first generation iPhone build system into compliance with Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX).
Mac Specialist, Retail Apr 2002 - May 2006
- Presented how-to classes in the store theatre
- Supervised team at POS to provide overrides and customer escalations
Turner Internet Technologies (CNN.com, Money.com, SI.com, NASCAR.com, CartoonNetwork.com, HBO.com, GameTap)
Team Lead, Internet Operations Center (IOC) Feb 2005 - May 2006
- Lead team responsible for monitoring applications, servers, and networking for 2,000 hosts located across 3 data centers.
- Initiated, designed, and oversaw $350k IOC redesign project to improve monitoring functionality and capacity.
Systems Engineer, Enterprise Systems Dec 2002 - Feb 2005
- Re-designed in-house monitoring system and integrated with server inventory system to reduce manual configuration required when adding hosts or web properties.
- Published 232-page book of documentation on inventory and monitoring tools.
- Developed a system to send customized one-time e-mails to a large audience.
Co-op, Enterprise Systems Jan 1999 - Dec 2002
- Proactively designed and implemented an inventory tracking system for servers including a relational Oracle database and Perl CGI front-end to make changes.
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science with a minor in Performance Studies
- Specializations in Networking & Telecom and User Interface Design